In the 9th century, the town became the main center of the Northerners.
The rapid growth of the settlement was due to an advantageous geographical position in the basin of the Desna River and its tributaries.
In the first third of the 16th century, the town fortress had 27 guns, its garrison numbered about 1,000 people.
In 1618, according to the Deulin Treaty, Chernihiv became part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
After the Russian-Lithuanian war (1500-1503), Chernihiv became part of the Russian state.
January 12, 1919, the town was taken by the Bolsheviks.
In October 1239, the troops led by the Chingizid Mongke captured the town, plundered and burned it.
The town lost its importance and became part of the Bryansk principality, which was captured by the Lithuanian prince Olgerd in 1356.
By 1960, about 300,000 square meters of housing was built. There are 3 comfortable guest houses and a VIP-house.
In 1959, a new building of the theater named after Taras Shevchenko was opened. The restaurant “Golden Coast” offers dishes of European and Ukrainian cuisine.